Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Heartache & Frustration

As many of you know, all I really want in life is to be a mother. Well who am I kidding...this is public knowledge since I wear my heart on my sleeve. Its not like I go around telling people this, but on the rare occasion that someone asks when my husband and I want to have kids, I tell them I am ready anytime. I say 'rare occasion' because for the most part it is. Some of our family members just asked us this question for the first time a few months ago. That was hurtful to me because it made me assume they never wanted us to have kids or that they were content with just being surrounded with the babies other people provided. Do you know how badly it hurts to want something so deeply and have no one to share it with? Or to believe no one will be excited for you when it happens?
Going back to me being ready anytime, I am. I have been around babies my entire life and never once did I think to myself "I never want this". It only grew my desire. That desire that was planted there by God. I have always thought every woman was like me. Always anticipating the day your family is created, no matter what the cost. As of lately I have discovered this is not true. It is so hard for me to fathom an unwanted pregnancy or a husband who wants babies more than his wife.
Most of all, I cannot believe all the criticism I have gotten from simply saying "I am ready anytime". I have been really hurt the past couple months by this. You would think I would shut up, but I am not going to lie or be one of those girls who say its a private matter (annoying). If you know us, you would know I am almost 23. Chris would be 24 if we got pregnant tomorrow and had a baby, and we would have been married for 3 years. Chris has a great job and is much farther in his career than many men/fathers I know. This is the criticism I get:
  • You are too young. (matter-of-fact statement from people who are my age w/kids)
  • Your marriage is still too new. (again, from people my age who got married at 18 and are prego with their 2nd)
  • It changes everything. (isn't that the point??)
  • You wont be able to travel like you do now. ( This doesn't bother me. It does Chris, but he knows after a couple years we can travel with our kids)
  • Having a baby is one of the most selfish things you can do. (yep I really did get that. Then I cried)
  • Babies are so expensive. You better save $30,000 before having them. (well I do not know how much they cost but I am certainly not above being a working mom)
  • Who would want a baby in this recession?? (Liberal nonsense..)
Yes these are all true. I have gotten all of them many times, especially the first one. it baffles me how people who had a baby at a younger age than I am now after being married only around a year say this to me. And its only after asking my age that they say this, not like I am acting young. Its amazing how entitled people are with their opinion on this. I have been very hurt and cried many times after people give me their opinion that was not asked for. I will never critize a young wife about this. They just may have that same heart wrenching calling to be a mother as I do.
Good news is my husband and I will start taking action on starting a family soon...but not too soon. Thanks to those who are happy for us! I couldn't stand all this criticism if you weren't in my life :)
Pin It!

8 comments:

Kareena said...

I will be very excited for you when a baby comes your way!

I struggle with people's opinions sometimes too, but they don't really matter. You and Chris are a wise couple and you'll know when the time is right.

God desires to fill all of the desires of your heart!

Courtney said...

I will be VERY excited for you to have a baby!

I would also like to know who said that you need to have $30K saved before having a baby. It's not like the instant they are born do you start paying college tuition.

The Porter Family said...

Oh Shannon...that's gotta be tough. People can be real idiots sometimes...I hate when other people act like they know whats best for YOU. Anyways, I will be THRILLED when you get pregnant. VERY happy for you! I say you get started tonight!!! Ha ha!

Ashley said...

oh my friend I understand so well, unfortunately! people can be so dumb and think they can say anything! sadly, the opinions seem to have continued to flood in even after I had Brynlee... I'm trying to get a thicker skin but it's so hard! I am so excited for you to get preg! your struggles are so real and it breaks my heart that you are going through this. we were married for just about 4 years before I got preg (between having to wait and then struggling to get pregnant) and I didn't care that I was "still young" or hadn't been married long. I wanted to be a young mom and had wanted to be a mom my whole life! It's funny though, I feel like looking back at that time it was like a blink of an eye, even though it felt like FOREVER at the time. It was definitely the first time I really had to wait for something (I married at barely 21, got an education, got a house, etc) so I feel like I really grew during that time. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but honestly I look at my baby girl now and I know that if I had not have "waited" I wouldn't have her now... and honestly if I knew how wonderful she was going to be I would have waited 10 years to get her. I pray God is your comfort in this time, but I also pray that you get preg SO SO SOON!!! please continue to share your thoughts and struggles on here, I often hesitated to share, but now I regret that. now by sharing you have more people to pray for you and support you! xoxo

Ashley said...

oh and so sorry for writing you a book! you DON'T need to have tons of $$ saved and God GIVES you these desires... and I agree, He loves to fulfill those desires!

Shannon said...

thanks everyone! my shout out was to you :)
Ashley I never realized how alike we are! I do not have tough skin and I know it will be harder once I am pregnant. I also havent had to wait for much....and this is making my heart grow fonder

thanks again love you all!

Janet said...

As your mom I can not wait for you to be a mom yourself there is really nothing like it and you will be wonderful... People will always give their opinion cause most of the time they have no idea what they are saying.. So listen to what the Lord is saying to you and Chris that is all that really matters anyways.... and I cant wait to be grandma again!!

Grandma said...

Shannon, I have never asked you when you are going to have kids simply because that is none of my business!! That is a personal thing between you and Chris. I think people are stupid and have all the answers and probably half the ones who have criticized you are just jealous that you and Chris have your "act together". Some people have no clue about anything...much less having kids. I can't wait until you have a little one...in your time and I certainly will love it as much as I do Aidan and Emmy. Oh.....if $30K is a prerequisite for having babies .... there are a lot of us who would still be waiting to have kids. Don't pay any attention to the idiots.....they walk among us and they breed!! I love you and Chris and I'm proud of you both. You've come a long way baby! Love you bunches!