Wednesday, May 10th 2011
It was a normal day. Chris came home early, he had been in training and was supposed to be all week. The week before, he was urging the baby to come. He wanted me to go into labor so badly, but then he found out about this training and wanted it to wait another week. I was fine with that. We went to the mall, Chris had a haircut scheduled there, and walked around for a while. It was a beautiful night, so cool outside for May (its an outdoor mall).
One point I stepped off the curb and thought I wet my pants a little. I didn't think anything of it (besides yuck), but looking back I am sure that was the start of my water leaking.
We got home, where twice I went pee and when I stood up, I kept leaking. Then I ironed one of Chris' work shirts and when I bent over to unplug the iron I felt another trickle. I was so confused. I thought it was pee. It wasn't much, just a small trickle. We googled things like "did my water break or did I pee myself", and "how do you know if your water breaks", only to learn that less than 15% of women actually have their water break naturally, and amnionic fluid is clear and odorless. Well, my pee had been as well. And honestly, it feels a lot like peeing when it comes out.
I had no clue what was going on, but I didn't have any other labor signs. I decided to go to bed, figuring if it was my water the bed would be soaked (I put a towel down).
May 11, 2011
The next morning I woke up to a dry bed and decided to go into work. Once at work, I got by for about an hour before the leaking started again. I stepped out to call the doctors office who of course told me to go right to the hospital. I immediately started bawling. I was so overwhelmed and nervous. I left right away (after a call to my husband) and headed toward the hospital. I was about a mile away when I realized, I need to go home! I had nothing with me, I needed to eat (I was starving and knew the hospital wouldn't let me), I wanted to shower, I didn't want to have 2 cars at the hospital, and the thought of buying groceries even crossed my mind (I didn't go ha). Chris met me at home with McDonalds breakfast and we got our things and left for the hospital.
We arrived around 11am, got checked in and sent to triage. They checked the fluid that was leaking (gross), and did a cervical check where I was 2cm dialated. It was indeed my water! I was so relieved that I wasn't crazy, and that I didn't go to the hospital only to be sent home. My doctor was at the hospital and came and saw me in triage. He explained pitocin to us and said I can get an epidural anytime. I got my IV (not painful whatsoever), signed a ton of paperwork and we were moved to our labor and delivery room.
I got started on pitocin, since my bag of water had broke and they worry about infection at 24 hours post water breaking. I was terrified of the pitocin. I braced myself for the worst pain of my life (which there wasn't a need to)! My mom came at some point then, and I started watching a Tori and Dean marathon. I was so thrilled they had cable TV, since we don't at home. It was enough to keep me distracted. Then I wanted to move around and start getting this baby out. I was hooked up to mobile monitors and got on the birthing ball and starting pacing the room. Moving really helped the pain (which was still very mild). Once I decided to lay back down, the pain got a lot worse. I was 4.5 hours in at this point, and thought with contractions this painful I was for sure more dilated (they wouldn't check me much for risk of infection. I had only the one check at this point). I decided after about 7 or 8 very painful and close contractions to get my epidural. I knew I was going to have one all along, and I wasn't trying to be a hero by waiting!
Around 4:30, the anesthesiologist came in, and immediately I started shaking. Shaking so very hard. I was so nervous and scared to have the epidural put in. Chris held my hand and I tried to relax. Honestly, I felt nothing. NOTHING. Not the prick from the numbing medicine, not the catheter going into my spine, not the "weird pressure" she told me I would have. NOTHING. At one point I almost ask if she had even done anything yet, but I was afraid her answer would be "no" so I didn't. The next thing I know, I am laying back down, and I did feel the cold medicine going into my back, followed by numbness. HEAVEN, I tell you. Epidurals are heaven!!
My doctor came in after the epidural to check me again. This was the devastating part: I was still a 2. UGH I couldn't believe I got my epidural so early! I felt like a serious wimp! I was relieved to know that when I got my epidural, my pitocin drip was the highest it could be with my doctors order to up it. Which he did. Over the next 4 hours, we had family come hang out and visit with us, I tried to sleep (unsuccessful), and watched more TV. The time in the labor room really flew by for me. I know Chris said it drug on for him, but I was actually enjoying it. At this point I was progressing about 1 cm/hour.
Around 9, all company left. The nurse checked me again, and when she did, I felt a big "pop" (I was 5cm). She said another bag of water broke! At this point, I started feeling more pain through the drugs. I pressed my epidural button to give me some relief, and when I did that, the baby's heart rate dropped. Chris got very scared, and we called in the nurse, who explained that that happend when his head is coming very low in the birth canal. This labor was moving fast, finally!
At 10pm, I was 8 cm!
At 10:30, I was fully dialated and did some pushing with the nurses. I had no idea what I was doing. I didn't feel the need to push, but I could feel pressure. It felt like something was trying to come out of me (duh), I don't know how else to explain it. Pushing was so exhausting for me. I could barely hold my breath for the count of 10, and kept apologizing for giving up. They finally gave me oxygen, which help a lot. There were some points where I knew I should push, since I could feel the pressure of his head, but I would keep quiet so I could rest.
Around 11:15ish, they called my doctor to come in (he had left for the night but came back for me, he is awesome!!). About 11:30pm, I was told not to push anymore. I could feel a lot of pressure and I knew his head was right there! I still didn't feel the need to push, it was almost like my body was doing it for me. I was able to relax and wait.
Once the doctor got there, I started shaking again like when I got my epidural. I was terrified and knew this was it! The doctor started to get dressed, and I got so sick to my stomach. Chris was at my head, and I told him I was going to be sick. The nurse put a barf bucket to my face and I started vomiting. The first puke was so violent, it pushed the head out. YES, I puked my son out!
I yelled right away, "his head is out, his head is out!!!", then resumed puking. Chris said the doctor didn't even have his gloves on at this point. The next few throw ups pushed out his body, and I heard him crying. I didn't "see" him be born, because of getting sick, but they put him on my chest and cleaned him up.
It was amazing, overwhelming, and surreal all at once. Chris cut the cord and they took him to be cleaned. At this point, he was still nameless. We had a short list: Sawyer (my choice), Theodore (Chris' choice), and Everett (kinda mutual). We had thrown Everett around the week before, but Chris never said yes or no. I love the name, and its a bonus that it is Chris' grandpas middle name. The doctor had stitched me up and left, and he was still nameless! Finally after about 30 minutes, we decided on Everett Dean. I love it!
It was amazing, overwhelming, and surreal all at once. Chris cut the cord and they took him to be cleaned. At this point, he was still nameless. We had a short list: Sawyer (my choice), Theodore (Chris' choice), and Everett (kinda mutual). We had thrown Everett around the week before, but Chris never said yes or no. I love the name, and its a bonus that it is Chris' grandpas middle name. The doctor had stitched me up and left, and he was still nameless! Finally after about 30 minutes, we decided on Everett Dean. I love it!
He was born at 11:48pm on May 11, 2011. He was 12 minutes shy of sharing his birthday with our anniversary. I am glad he got his own day! We celebrated our anniversary as a family of 3 the next day at the hospital. We are so in love with our son. It is truly the greatest blessing of all. He is just so adorable, and looks a lot like his daddy. I often just stare at him, and well up with tears of joy.







5 comments:
Oh Shannon. What an amazing story! And i totally looked up "water breaking" on my computer when mine broke with Claire- Nothing like the movies portray! Congratulations! :)
Thank you for sharing... what a beautiful story. He is just so gorgeous!
Beautiful story! It's the most amazing feeling in the world and you are going to be such a wonderful mama. I had the same thing happen when my water broke! I was laying in bed and only felt a little wetness...then I googled it too! Haha, on the joys of google. Love you and can't wait to meet that precious little boy.
thanks for sharing shannon!! i love hearing birth stories and you know i will be asking for a recap when i come visit next week haha!! btw-- baby free yay! congrats again you and chris are going to make great parents!
Absolutely precious. Congrats again.
Post a Comment